Gracenote is a service based on CD meta-data which has been made into a business. More details from wikipedia, and relevant info on CDDB, based on this format. Hmm. not sure about this! Here's my attempt searching this system with the bowie/berlin query set.
- David Bowie Low. Didn't find the album in the first page hitlist, but there were albums with hit records, so partial relevance was established. Retry. Did find the album but it was lower down the the, in fact 'low'. Groan.
- David Bowie "Heroes". Same hitlist as low query. Retry. 3rd hit down.
- David Bowie lodger. Same hitlist as low query. Retry.
- Iggy Pop lust for life. Album is 2nd hit. Retry.
- David Bowie the man who sold the world. Same hitlist as low query. Retry.
- David Bowie hunky dory. Same hitlist as low query. Retry.
- David Bowie Aladdin Sane. Same hitlist as low query. Retry.
- David Bowie ziggy stardust. Same hitlist as low query. Retry.
I did loads of initial searches and got identical results for the Bowie queries, before I realized that I could refine the query to 'album' or 'track' - it seems to automatically assume you're looking for artist. I therefore did all the searches again, this time on with the 'album' tag chosen labeled 'Retry' above. Retries are with the album name only. Results were a lot better doing this. Clicking on the albums allows the user to buy the track (from itunes) or view the song lyrics. Otherwise a pretty basic service, with no audio options I could fine.